Here are some texts that concern the route between Šilūte and Klaipėda and/or Nida (the Curonian Spit)
The length – 45,5 km (gravel – 19,5 km, asphalt – 26 km): Ventė horn –10– Kintai –7– Svencelė –4– Dreverna –3– Vilhelm channel –10– Kairiai ground –11,5– Klaipėda center.
The village is in the right Gedė’s shore. It is known from the 17 cent. In 1793, Plaškiai church was baptized. In 1896, the new stone church was put up on its place.
It was an important spiritual regional center.
After it got independence, one local inhabitant tore off the roof of a house, however, that did not prevent him from becoming the major of Šilutė.
During WWI, Plaškiai was greatly damaged.
Rusnė is the old fishermen’s settlement. It was first mentioned in the end of the 14 cent. The Lithuanians and the Kuršiai inhabited it. Prussian grand duke Albert’s order to hold services in the Lithuanian and Kuršiai languages testify about that. For many centuries, along with Klaipėda’s region, Rusnė belonged to the German feudalistic that tried to “germanize” the local people, but failed to eliminate Lithuanian roots. The street of Žveju (fishermen) is held a monument of the old Rusnė’s architecture. It is a former village of Skirvytėlė, now belonging to the city of Rusnė. You could also see living and industrial buildings of the end of 19 cent. beginning of the 20 cent architecture typical to the coastal territory. The walls of the houses are usually boarded and full of writings. The roofs are covered with reed or with tiles. In 1907, water station was built in Rusnė. This station is considered a symbol of human persistency in the battle with the element the Nemunas’ waters. The first banks in the flooded fields were put up in 1888 after the catastrophe of flood. However, the low delta’s places were not enough to dry up the land. Water stations were still needed. They were designed to pump up the dampness. Now, this station is restored and turned into a museum. The old station’s steam engine in a unique exhibit.
- Polders museum, Uostadvaris, tel. (241) 58359;
- Etnographical museum- homestead (K.Banys), tel. (241) 58169;
- Vilkėnai mill (hotel-restourant), Švėkšna, Šilutės region, tel. (241) 48371;
- Vilkėnai mill (hotel restourant), Švėkšna, Šilutės region,
- Šalkauskai homestead, Lakštingalų 3, Rusnė,
- Drobnai homestead, Lakštingalų 2, Rusnė,
- Knapkiai homestead, Skirvytėlės 9, Rusnė,
- Gečai homestead, Lakštingalų 4, Rusnė,
- Ventė tourism centre, Šturmai, Šilutės reg.,
- Resting place “Minija”, Kintai,
- Market centre “Litorina”, Lietuvininkų 58, Šilutė;
- R.Jaruškevičiaus company (second-hand bicycles and their parts ), Dariaus and Girėno 9, Šilutė, tel. (241) 62223;
- Nemunas delta regional park direction, Lietuvininkų 10, Šilutė,
It is famous for the station of birds’ ringing. There is also a small ornithological museum. During migration, a few hundred thousands of the feathered cross the nazi.
Fishermen’s settlement that during the 18-19 cent. was famous for its market places. Even the Evangelical church built in 1705 remained. Unfortunately, none of the seaside settlements can be proud of the fish now. There were times when lots of various kinds of fish were caught here. But now many of them are either disappearing or are on the verge of it. One of the reason because of the harsh exploitation of the lagoon.
Dreverna is another fish trading center, known from the 13 cent. Its sights are the original and posh weathercocks that still exist nowadays.
Its length is 24 m, size – 30 m. it is very much liked by the lovers of the fish because of the sometimes-rich catch. It was dug when Klaipėda was under the Prussian king Frydrich Vilhelm III. At that time, rafts were drifted to Klaipėda’s port through Nemunas. However, bad weather conditions prevent them. For that reason, in 1863, the digging works were started. The channel was finished during I870-1871French-Prussian war by the French prisoners.
This is the heritage of the military army, now owned by the Lithuanian troops. Scientists have found a lot of nature’s values here. That is why two botanic reserves are established here – Kliošiai and Lūžija.
Vydūnas museum, Kintai, tel.
Ornithology museum (L.Jezerskas), Ventės ragas,